Scotland in Pictures

Take a visual trip around Scotland.

Arbroath, originally named Aberbrothock, is the largest town in the council area of Angus, with its beautiful and long sandy beaches, absolutely amazing red sandstone cliffs, the Arbroath Abbey and the historic Harbour as some of the attractiveness of ancient town of Arbroath, just around 17 miles|25km north east of Dundee and 45 mile|72km south west of Aberdeen. Although we can find some signs of its existence already in the Iron Age, its history really begins in the High Middle Ages, when it was made a royal burgh at the same time the Arbroath Abbey was established in 1178, out of local red sandstone, by orders of King William the Lion, where he was buried in 1214, and it was the first modern development in Arbroath. It was meant for the Tironensian Order Monks, a Roman Catholic Monastic Order, form Kelso Abbey, which received consecration in 1197 with a dedication to St. Thomas Becket. The burgh of regality, which was reconfirmed in 1559 by King James VI of Scotland, allowed monks to have a weekly market, dispense basic justice and establish a harbour. In the early Christian period, it seemed to have some importance, proven by Pictish stone carvings, used in the building of the old church, found during the restoration of St. Vigeons Church, when it was being restored and can now be seen in a small Museum there. Although many were severely damaged, the 9th Century Drosten Stone is one of the few Pictish artefacts that had Latin text: ‘Drosten: IREUORET[E]TTFORCUS’, which second part is thought to be a referral to Pictish King Uurad, who was regnant between 839 and 842 AD.
Total hits: 17519
Most recent 10 minutes hits: 6
Current hour hits: 8
Yesterday hits: 86
Last 24 hours visitors: 6
Current hour visitors: 2
Recent guest(s): 1